This week will mark our 14th wedding anniversary, and we will have been together for 19. One would think that with age and duration comes wisdom. Currently I am not speaking to Hubby because he said one of the following to me this weekend. I'm sure he's considering this lull in conversation as a little nagging vacation, but alas, I'm stewing. In the interest of helping him survive another year without me smothering him with a pillow or poisoning his corn flakes (or both, if I really want to speed things along,) I offer
Things You Should NOT Say If You Value Your Life, Your Sleeping Arrangements, or Your Front Teeth:
1. Is that what you’re wearing? / Is that how you’re going to wear your hair? / Or any version thereof. You'd think by this point one of you fellas would have written a marriage manual and this would have been Chapter 1.
2. Do not tell me you’ll be home at 7 and then call me from the office at 6:55 to tell me you’re running a little late. You are likely to arrive home (finally) and find the neighborhood kids roasting marshmallows in a bonfire made completely of your business suits.
3. What’s for dinner? Seriously. We’ve been together almost 20 years and I have not ONCE made a meal that caused you to celebrate my skills in the kitchen. I don’t like to cook. I’m not good at it. It takes longer to make it than it does to eat it. Invest in stock in the Chef Boyardee company and leave me alone.
4. My mom never let the clothes pile up like this. Well then perhaps you should take your laundry to her.
5. Didn’t you just get your nails done/ hair done/ brows waxed? It’s called maintenance. Don’t ask how the magic happens . . . just appreciate the end result.
6. What do you need to get at Target? Nothing. Target is my happy place. I like to go to there.
7. You don’t need ice cream. No one NEEDS ice cream, but the fact that you are pointing out that I, in particular, do not NEED ice cream means that I’m now considering ordering two ice creams.
8. What’s the over / under on when these clothes are going to be put away? On a completely unrelated topic, please note that Jimmy Hoffa’s body has YET to be found. Maybe he aska too many aquestions.
9. Why is the house always such a mess when I get home? You should have considered this question about 9 months before I delivered each of your children.
10. When’s the last time you went to the gym? 1996. The answer is 1996.