Friday, August 24, 2012

Verbal Vomit


I made a small purchase yesterday, and the total came to $6.30.  I pulled out my wallet so that I could pay in cash, which never happens to me.  I rarely have cash and use my credit card for everything.  This is Hubby’s way of tracking my purchases.  He thinks I don’t know this.  I do.  We spent the first ten years of our marriage arguing about why I never document my purchases in the check register, and so now the credit card company does it for me.  Everybody wins.

When I prepared to pay for my items, I pulled out a wad o’ cash. 

I could have paid the $6.30, said thank you, and been on my way . . . but NO.  I felt the need to explain.

“We just went to Hershey Park last weekend.  That’s why I have all this cash,” I said.

The saleswoman smiled, probably a bit taken aback by my verbal spewage.

“I just didn’t want you to think I’m a drug dealer,” I continued.

Awkward smile.

“Or a stripper,” I chuckled as I folded my singles.

Please, make it stop.

“You know, we stay-at-home moms have to make some money somewhere!”

I should not be allowed to wander alone in the wild.





1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I do this too! My most recent was with a rental car company.. I didn't have my wedding ring on and I didn't want her to think I was a single mother. I explained that he travels and I'm okay with it because it affords me to stay home and it's sometimes easier when he's away and I. Just. Couldn't. Stop. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, kids.