Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sexy Scooby

Since when did Scooby Doo become so sexy?

The boys have recently started watching Scooby-Doo, Mystery, Inc. and it's a little different from the Scooby we remember from our childhood.  First of all, Velma and Daphne are both boy-crazy.  Velma is constantly flirting with Shaggy and seems obsessed with stealing private moments with him.  Daphne rarely leaves Fred's side, but Fred is clueless and unknowingly rebuffs her "advances."

There are so many things wrong with this.

1.  I like the idea of the meddling kids working as a team to solve an innocuous mystery.  I do not like the secondary story-lines that portray teenage girls as aggressive and manipulative.  In a recent episode, Velma spent most of her time trying to get Shaggy alone while Daphne tried back-handed techniques to get Fred to ask her to the prom.  I am disturbed by this characterization as a Boy Mommy - I can only imagine how I'd feel if I had little girls.

2.  Isn't it common knowledge that Shaggy and Scooby are pot-heads, Velma is a preppy lesbian, and Fred is in the closet?

  • When I was young(er), Velma was the sensible, intelligent adolescent who was not swayed by peer pressure.  She had no interest in boys.  To be honest, she had no interest in girls either, but I always felt that there was some sexual tension between her and Daphne.  
  • I always assumed that Fred and Daphne were an item because they always paired up together when it was mystery-solvin' time.  And I mean "item" in the way that Daphne is Fred's beard.  Fred is still in high school and is not ready to come out of the closet yet.  For the love o' Pete, the kid wears an ascot.  The original Scooby Doo was popular way before Glee and all its predecessors illuminated the fact that (gasp!) some people are gay.  
  • And Shaggy and Scooby spend all their time in the back of a hippie bus trying to score snacks because they always have the munchies.  The show is called Scooby Dooby Doo.  Get it?  Dooby?  He's a joker, he's a smoker, he's a midnight toker.  


In summary, I like the gang to be sexually repressed, closeted,  hippie potheads, and, as a woman and a mother, I am TOTALLY offended by the pheromones that Daphne and Velma are throwing out into the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, kids.