Friday, March 25, 2011

Okay, I'm better now.

After re-reading my last post, it occurs to me that perhaps I should not write when I am in the throes of PMS. 

I sounded so whiny.  I remember telling a friend once that “we all have our sh*t.”  It’s true.  Everyone faces challenges, and what may seem insignificant to one may be monumental to another. 

You know I likes the country music and I worship at the altar of Ms. Dolly Parton.  Currently, Trace Adkins sings a song called “You’re Gonna Miss This,” and the lyrics are:

You’re gonna miss this. 
You’re gonna want this back.
You’re gonna wish these days
Hadn’t gone by so fast.
These are some good times,
So take a good look around.
You may not know it now,
But you’re gonna miss this.

Cheesy, yes.  Gouda.  Brie.  Kraft American cheese product.  Whatever you want to call it, the lyrics still ring true. 


Small has been here an entire year.  ALREADY a year has passed!  He’ll be walking (our kids are late walkers) and talking coherently soon.  Medium will be in all-day school next year and we won’t have our afternoon snuggle-time any more.  Large is getting increasingly independent and doesn’t need his mama as much.  

Motherhood is an exhausting adventure, and I still think, as women, we are very quick to judge each other.  I am guilty of it too.  After my last post, I heard from many working-mom friends who reminded me, without saying as much, how lucky I am that I am able to stay home.  Some moms are better moms for being able to work outside the home, and some don’t have the choice.  Some moms do it on their own.  I know that I need to stay home, and even though I miss my friends and colleagues and I sometimes ache for adult interaction, I do the best I can with the choices we’ve made as a family.  Some days I need to b*tch a little, just to get it all out of my system. 

1 comment:

  1. Jenn, check out this talk on ted:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/rufus_griscom_alisa_volkman_let_s_talk_parenting_taboos.html

    Basically how the reality of the frustrations and aggravation of parenting aren't really supposed to be mentioned.

    They don't really have any answers, but I think just opening up on this help as lots of other parents are feeling the same way.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, kids.